Friday 19 June 2009

Are lawyers misunderstood creatures?

I was reading the Law section of Times Online today and came across this shocking article. Avert your eyes fellow law students and practitioners...

Why are Lawyers so Hated?

Read at your peril, particularly the comments.

Furthermore, in Criminal Law News the first trial without a jury for '400 years' is scheduled for July. This is because it was ruled by the Court of Appeal that the trial could be heard by the judges alone due to "jury nobbling". Apparently, this is the FOURTH trial scheduled to be heard with the previous three costing a total of £22 million and the previous trial collapsing due to "a serious attempt at jury tampering". So having a trial without jury in this case is found to be in the interests of justice. Hmm so many issues here....I don't even know where to begin. Costs? Why this 'nobbling' occurred in the first place?

Pfft.

And so I'd like to conclude with this beautiful song which I came across yesterday whilst watching videos on YouTube; it was playing in the background of someone's make-up tutorial. (I think it was Romaquillage)

For some reason, watching the video I get the feeling there is some underlying message involving domestic violence which you don't quite get when you merely listen to the track. Great all the same. I'm going to purchase the album on my next pay-day.



So, that's enough ranting and raving for one day, ne c'est pas?

CBC

xx

P.s. I've vowed to take and use my own photographs in this blog so I'll be looking forward to the commentary on my amateur photography.

2 comments:

Minx said...

Sad News all round, CBC. I can perfectly understand why the public hold us in such low esteem, particularly in these credit crunch times when their homes and jobs are at risk of reposession and loss - only to see lawyers come swinging in to apparently carve up what little worth they have left in the name of debt and apparently charge an exorbitant fee for so doing. I would like to think that much can be done to sway this poor image as those coming onto the Solicitor's Roll, and to The Bar bring with them a change in legal attitude.

However This all pales into insignificance when one considers the potential ramifications of a Criminal Trial without Jury - whos presence has already been swept to one side in matters civil; with jurors increasingly complaining about the length of their service, the fact that they are not renumerated for their civic duty or are at general risk of bieng 'nobbled' I fear that this tiny rent in our fundemental right to a fair trial by a pannel of one's peers will quickly become a gaping Hole........

The Curious Black Cat said...

*nods frantically*

Yes yes yes minx. It is one or two bad legal apples spoiling the bunch (or the reputation of the bunch). It is unfortunate that it is mainly the unflattering accounts of lawyers which make it to print...