Thursday 23 April 2009

CBC gets the sniffles

Today, I can proudly and most excitedly announce that after months of slow reading I have finally finished The Shining (by Stephen King). I am a little disappointed with the ending; it seems all too abrupt. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey though. It is one of those books that is incredibly detailed to the point where it not only described in detail the surroundings in which the story took place, but also the thought processes and psychic commentary involved. Heavy heavy going.


I also read an unpublished book called 'I Do Not Come To You By Chance' by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani yesterday, which was an interesting, funny and sad insight into the world of the Nigerian email scam...the 419. I loved the way in which the author developed the characters and the fact that my feeling toward them changed so dramatically from chapter to chapter. I think it just illustrates how poverty can influence the most law-abiding person into getting involved in desperate(and illegal) situations. (image from www.amazon.co.uk)

Currently, I am finishing off 'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino; part of my 'Japanese phase'. After this, I cannot wait to get stuck into the next instalment of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. I have already read seven of these books, watched the one-off episode last year and watched the entire series this year. I have only listened to one of the radio podcasts on Radio 6/7 but according to one of the customers who came into work a few weeks ago, the podcasts were more true to the books that the television series. To be perfectly honest, I didn't care much for the podcast I listened to although it was VERY funny.

Seem to have slight verbal diarrhoea today...

There was also an article posted on Times Online today which was rather interesting:

How can ethnic minorities reach the top of the profession?
Frances Gibb

"Baroness Scotland of Asthal could be forgiven if she saw no problem. Britain’s first black, first woman holder of the post of Attorney-General is a living example of diversity in the legal profession. But, as with women political leaders, is she a one-off?

There is one black High Court judge and none in the Court of Appeal or House of Lords. In the High Court, the only black ethnic minority judge is Mrs Justice Dobbs. “People blame me,” the Attorney-General says. “They say I shouldn’t have gone into politics” — the implication, and likelihood, being that she would have risen to the upper judicial ranks, setting a precedent there rather than in government..."


http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article6148204.ece

Gibb paints a very interesting picture of just how few black lawyers 'at the top of their game' there are. The article also suggests that this number is further diminished when considering the numbers of black women there are in the profession. Interesting stuff.

I had better go indulge in a cup of the best and get on with some applications. I can feel the RSI in my fingers already...

CBC

xx

p.s. Horrid hayfever has begun already!

2 comments:

Michael said...

I absolutely love Stephen King's The Shining (the novel that is - less so his TV mini-series) and have read it several times. It certainly ranks in my top 5 reads of all time!

BTW: I've added you to my blawglist! :-)

The Curious Black Cat said...

Thanks for your comment Michael.I haven't seen the film but have seen enough movie countdown lists with it included to get an idea of what the big scenes are! It was a heavy read for me but I certainly enjoyed it.

Thank you for adding me to your blog list also!