Thursday 4 February 2010

Hey Diddle Diddle...a Castle and a Fidle(r)

I am intrigued by a story I heard on (surprise surprise) the Wright Stuff. By the number of mentions I have given that show, Matthew, I'm sure you owe me some money in advertising by now! (I accept Paypal :D)

Anyway, I digress...

Robert Fidler, a farmer from Surrey, spent two years building what can only be described as a CASTLE hidden behind some straw bales (for what reason we can't be certain) has now been told that it is to be knocked down as he did not have planning permission of some sort to erect it in the first place. Take a look and read of the story here and you will see that this is no shabby mess we are talking about! So putting the matter of permission aside, would your opinion of the plight of the building change if it was an eyesore? I don't think it should be demolished but maybe Mr Fidler ought to be fined? Why spend precious money knocking it down and rendering a family homeless?

Hmm...

CBC

xx

2 comments:

AW said...

At first I wondered if the bales os straw had just been blown down by the wind, but that was not the case! Why didn't Mr Fidler get planning permission? How expensive would it have been? I don't think the house should be knocked down (even though it was built with complete, and even intentional, disregard for the law)... a hefty fine would probably be more proportionate.

Also how could the council not have noticed builders' trucks etc...???

The Curious Black Cat said...

I'm not surprised the council missed the trucks...who knows how the actual building process took place! He probably smuggled those bricks under a sheet one by one!