Thursday 4 February 2010

Lock up your daughters! Chain up your sons...


Yes, this is my third post of the day but I am really in a posting mood today.


I just came across this story about a Chinese Father who chained his son to a lampost outside a shopping centre to prevent the child from being abducted. Far from being outraged, I actually think that looking past the crude means of restraint, this works for this poor family who is trying to earn a living AND whose four year old daughter had been abducted weeks prior. To Western eyes, this may seem like child cruelty but as child abduction is a big worry for the family, this is a solution. It was also reported that the family could not afford childcare. It is very easy for me in my 'so called' cushy life to point the accusing finger and question why the child was not left with relatives but we do not know the entire situation.

I think that the story was perfectly summed up by a commentor, Adrian Wright who added,

"Who should babysit for the poorest in the world?"

Sad but true.

The story and photograph are taken from: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7014172.ece

3 comments:

Poonam said...

At first when I saw this I was so shocked. Then after I realised they needed to do that. Looking at the poor and horrid situation as to where they live I was appalled. There are those who are extremely wealthy and then those who are extremely poor in China. It disturbs me everytime!!

The Curious Black Cat said...

Oh the rich poor divide is something that always disturbs me. Disgusting!

Michael said...

You make a very good point, CBC

:-)