Wednesday 30 September 2009

The Importance of Reading...

A little incident occurred yesterday which only reinforced how important reading is to me and my own life. Of course, this is not the case with everybody. Some customers who come into the bookshop often sniff at the fact that some people read for fun. "I'm only here because X person wanted this book but I NEVER read myself...Who has time for reading when one can get off one's teets on bacardi breezers".

Okay, so I made that last bit up but the former is true. Often customers are proud of the fact that they don't read anything but the television schedule off their Sky teleboxes.

"What was the last book you read?" said I, trying to find a suitable book.
Snorts. "ME? I am too busy to read." say they.

Of course some people are busy and don't have time to sit around reading books all day but there is time to read if you really WANT to. This explains the hundreds or thousands of people who use public transport on a daily basis and often read during these journeys. Read before bed. Read during one's lunch break. Read on the sunlounger whilst roasting oneself on a beach in Ibiza (or any similarly original holiday destination)

Then there are people who cannot read. I understand that. It is sad and unfortunate but it happens. There is help out there and I wish I could help people who can't read to do so as it must feel lonely and isolated. So I appreciate not everyone can read.

Finally, I appreciate not everyone has an interest in reading. I work in a bookshop because I read...a lot. I do not read solely because I work in a bookshop. My place of work further feeds my need for new writing, information etc...

Now for the incident....

Yesterday, I was doing a bit of shopping as I needed things like envelopes and ink for my printer as I am doing job applications. On the way home, there are road works being carried out between two bus stops meaning that a two way street is now only one way (with on coming traffic being stopped to allow traffic going the other way to pass and vice versa) The two bus stops affected are clearly marked with fluorescent signs, emblazoned with the words,

BUS STOP NOT IN USE

So, aside from the fact that a person may not have seen the sign (for whatever reason), the fact that buses were driving past the stop and stopping elsewhere, was this not an indication enough that the stop was closed? Clearly not. There were people waiting at the stop for a long time, shouting and walking out into the road to try to coax the drivers to allow them to board. Passers-by going to the next stop told these people that the stop was closed and that they should start walking to the next stop. They refused. It's so unfair. Why should they have to walk to the next stop. The buses should be throwing their doors open wherever we please.

This situation escalated to the extent that the police were called. All because some people could not be bothered to read the sodding sign!

I shouldn't have been so annoyed but it was such a perfect example of people not bothering to read and then trying to lay the blame elsewhere.

A similar 'row' ensued when a customer in the bookshop brought two books to the till to buy. I put them through the till and they weren't happy at the prices of the books which were clearly stickered on the backs of the books. They had supposedly seen a shelf talker telling them of a discount on the books. Fair enough. I told them that I'd go to the shelf myself to check. Checked...no such discount. Customer then decided to get irate with me and told me to look again because they were sure I was trying to charge them more than they needed to pay. They then offered to show me because I (was stupid, uneducated and obviously grew up in a jungle with no food...this was not said so I am jumping to conclusions) obviously couldn't read. They made it up. But still wanted to be wrong and strong.

READ!!! If unsure, ASK. Don't ASSUME!

I'll stop now as this is developing into a mega rant but I wish more people would live by this philosophy...

Till next, calmer entry

CBC

xx

2 comments:

AW said...

Oh how funny!

AW said...

I LOVE the new heading!