Thursday 30 July 2009

Are beggars entitled to be 'choosers'?

I am hungry. I have just spent the best part of 3 hours completing applications to meet tomorrow's deadline. I'm going to make this a quick post. Today, after visiting my GP and deciding that my new fridge looked too empty, I decided to do a little food shopping in my local area. While at the ATM, a little boy of about 6 or 7 approached me muttering something incomprehensible or so it seemed as I had my headphones on. I quickly retrieved my money from the machine and removed my headphones and asked him what he wanted.

He was begging.

I had an unopened can of Pringles in my bag, so I took this out and gave it to the boy. He thanked me and left. Seconds later, he returned with a lady now asking me for money. It was obvious that I HAD cash on my person as I was approached while I was withdrawing money. I told the lady that I had given the little boy a snack and that I had no change. They surrounded me holding out their hands, she pointing to her pregnant stomach.

They knew I was a soft touch.

I told them I'd purchase some food for them to eat if that was what they wanted.

"Bless you." She said, rubbing my upper arm and clasping her hands.

They then followed me across the road to a local bakery. I asked the lady what she wanted to eat. She said Mc Donalds. Mc Donalds was another 10-15 minute walk away and I had things to do. I replied that I would be buying something from the bakery. She wanted me to get change for her. I walked into the bakery and bought some pastries for them to eat. I took £3 out of the change I had and walked back out, handing this to the lady. She looked into her hand and looked back at me saying,

"What is this?" (Looking into her hand and then the bag)
"I want £3-£5 to buy food...this isn't enough..." (or words to this effect)
"These are cheese and onion pasties." I said. "Nice and hot."

I told her that I was sorry and that I am unemployed and this was all I could spare, especially as I had just bought them something to eat as well as given them change. While all this was going on, the little boy was circling me and pulling at my clothes saying, "Please, Please"

I firmly replied that this was all I could spare and walked away. They proceeded to follow me, still chanting, "Please Please". I again, firmly said,

"Please. I have given you what I can spare. I need some money to buy food for myself."

I walked away.

Later, I thought about this experience and how disgusted the lady was at the fact that I had ONLY given her £3 as well as bought food for her and her son AND given him a snack. I couldn't believe that she'd had the audacity to say that what I had given her was not enough, especially as the shoes I was wearing had holes in them and I had NO food in my fridge at home.

I understand that things are hard for everyone, but refuse to be made to feel bad because I could only spare £3...

I am hungry.

CBC

xx

4 comments:

Michael said...

That's absolutely awful. You certainly gave them more than they would have got from me. You have absolutely no reason to feel bad, CBC.

I remember two women approach me in the city earlier this year, neither of whom spoke any English, and thrust a piece of paper at me which had scrawled on it, "will work for food". I thrust it straight back at them and said blankly, "I'm sorry" and walked off.

AW said...

Dearest CBC,

That is so sweet of you. I can't believe the lady would rather have McDonalds over hot cheese and onion pasties plus change!

AW

p.s. My word verification thingy is "foodsom"!

babushak said...

wow. i don't give money to beggars at all, not because i am greedy or don't care. in russia beggars (disabled soldiers, children, old women) are not really beggars but part of a team who work for mafia, and begging is how they get the money.

then there are the romanian gypsies in russian cities who crowd around you and when they leave you find your wallet missing.

this is why i avoid beggars. i don't trust them to be what they claim or seem to be.

The Curious Black Cat said...

Michael, I normally don't give beggars money as I am fully aware of the scams but for some reason I was feeling generous and having a pregnant stomach thrust in my face, (pillow or no pillow) really swayed me.

AW, I can't believe it either...which reinforces the fact that they couldn't have been THAT hungry if they were so picky over the food.

Bab, I normally don't give beggars money for a similar reason to you...not being that I don't care. However, sometimes these things catch you off-guard and my mind was elsewhere, hence why I was so willing to do what I did. This will be a last...I'm still annoyed at myself...