Friday 14 August 2009

A 'Good' Shake

I can't remember where I read this. It may have been in one of my favourite books, Little Women. I don't believe in corporal punishment (per se) but reading about someone administering a 'good shake' to a defiant child (and please don't think I'm condoning this especially with the controversies surrounding 'shaken baby syndrome') made me think about this. I'm using it as a substitute for the proverbial 'kick up the backside' and not to mean abuse.

I believe that sometimes everyone needs a 'kick up the backside' or a good firm shake by the shoulders. A wake up and smell the coffee kick. A 'get a grip' kick. A 'chin up' Scottie kick. A reality-check kick.

Recently, I've gotten these hypothetical 'kicks' when I check my bank balance or look at the BIG picture in relation to my life. One way or another though, we all get them. It keeps us grounded and makes us stronger.

Think that's enough philosophy for one day. I'm planning on macaroni and cheese and peri-peri wings for dinner so I'm going to roll my sleeves up and get cooking!

Om nom nom

CBC

xx

p.s. Bend over!

3 comments:

Minx said...

Ahh , the metaphorical smack in the gob! I agree, there are times when we are in sore need of such in order to remain focused, to keep ones eyes on the prize, so to speak.

OOO, what you are having for food sounds absolutely DIVINE!! WHY must you torture me with the imagination of such wonderfully tempting treats when I am on a DIET?!?! * waaaah*!!

AW said...

Darling CBC,

I am in complete agreement. I have been in much need of these metaphorical kicks and shakes (of many different kinds) over the past year to get myself moving...

Theres a few people I'd like to give a good shake to. The first being an old neighbour. He was a family friend who has ended up in the wrong crowd but could have been so much more...

p.s. Just out of interest, do you have tea-dunked-hobnobs? Do you find a sludge of said biscuit at the bottom of your teapcup? If not, how do you avoid this? Maybe you can do a post on the best tea biscuits that don't fall apart when dunked in tea and don't taste of cardboard?

The Curious Black Cat said...

Hah! I prefer your use of the phrase 'metaphorical smack in the gob'...much better imagery!

Minx, why oh why are you dieting? Bah! Still, I hope you are getting on well with it (If you must!) :)

AW, I like hobnobs but I'm not sure I could be converted to the chocolate-covered variety. I have however looked at this issue of biscuit dunking on my other blog and trust that you will find it informative and instructive enough to solve your problem. ;)

CBC

x