Tuesday 25 August 2009

Green Parrots/ Parakeets in London?

Hello blog watchers,

This is probably old news because I may have tweeted about this a few days ago but I have only just uploaded the photos onto my laptop. Here are the photos of the green parakeets which I saw in the tree behind my West London 'home'. I had no idea that they are supposedly now 'native' to England and have been breeding since an apparent escape from captivity, decades ago. You can read about the Green Parakeets as reported on the BBC News site in 2004.




Truth really is stranger than fiction! There were about 30 of them in that tree and by the time I managed to grab my camera, rush to the window and pap them, the battery ran out! The last photo is probably the clearest I could get from where I was.

Hmm...

Make the most of the good weather bloggers and readers!

CBC

xx


6 comments:

Barmaid said...

Highgate is full of them and they are quite cheeky birds, not shy of dive-bombing pedestrians and running the other bird species out of town.

AW said...

I get the occasional green parrot flying over my garden and several in this big tree... some escaped from Kew Gardens.

My mum still doesn't believe me that theres green parrots in London!

Hope you're well CBC xx

Minx said...

I must confess that, when I first saw these birds, bieng slightly the worse for alcoholic wear at Middle Temples Advocacy W/E at Cumberland Lodge,I thought I was SEEING things in some kind of wine fuelled hallucination!
Apparently not - Thankfully!!

cmckei said...

do they roam wild outside of london? I've never seen these (but then again I don't live in london) but would love to. nice snaps x

The Curious Black Cat said...

They were very loud barmaid, loud and cheeky!

If you read the comments in the article AW, you'll see that there are quite a few sceptics too!

Haha! Minx, only you...

Travis, I'm not sure actually but I would have thought that outside of London would be where it would be more likely to find them!
I'm sorry the pics were a bit fuzzy; I was scared to go outside in case I scared them away!

Anonymous said...

It's true! I live opposite Gunnersbury Park near Kew and there's loads of 'em! At first I saw only a couple and thought they must have escaped from someone's house - but lo I recognised their very loud chirping now and there's loads of 'em. I think it's lovely they're here everyday and it makes the place feel quite tropical and exotic!! :)