Tuesday 18 August 2009

I think I'm turning Japanese...

For a while now, I have had an undescribable fascination with Japan, it's culture and people. I think it's because it's so different from my own Caribbean background. I'm sure I've posted about this before, but as I'm sat listening to my Japan CD, Japanese fiction in hand and my cupboard stocked with sushi rice and sushi nori seaweed sheets, I think it's about time that I come to terms with it.

I'm not sure where this stems from to be perfectly honest. I can't remember whether this started after I first tried sushi whilst at university or when I first read/watched 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Golden. Whereever it started, it has further deepened since I began working at the bookshop, just over a year ago. I then began to have access to Japanese fiction and crime, which quickly worked to appease my thirst for knowledge about the culture, so far away from my own.

One of my dreams, amongst many, is to visit Japan and learn about the Geisha tradition and learn more about the food too. First, I'm going to have to get to grips with the language which has taken a bit of a back seat recently...meaning I am back to square one in terms of anything I may have learnt. Still, I can count to ten!

Ichi. Ni . San. Shi. Go. Roku. Shichi. Hachi. Kyuu. Juu.

I was going to post a video of the well-known song which inspired the title of this post but on realising the hidden meaning, I think I will refrain from it...

Currently though, I am reading Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto and although it is a very short story, I haven't read enough of it to be able to comment on the book in enough detail. Needless to say, I am already enjoying it as it is the closest thing I will get to Japanese life at the moment! I should be reviewing it when I am done...which shouldn't be long now. It must be said: I love the fact that her name is Banana!

Everyone has something that they're 'into'. Find yours and get passionate about it!

CBC

x

Currently, I am listening to a song that sounds like a combination of Zouk, Soca, Pop and with Latin elements called 'Koza Renka' and is sung by Takashi Hirayasu. Love it! T'is a pity I'm not able to find an audio clip of it online.

5 comments:

Barmaid said...

I only recently discovered the hidden meaning to the 'turning Japanese' lyrics, how sad is that, to think we all sang it in the 80's unaware of what it meant

The Curious Black Cat said...

It's sad that I discovered this whilst looking for a video clip of the song and half-way through the post. I apologise to anyone who might be offended by me using the title...I really do feel like I've got a little piece of Japan in my heart...

nobuyuki said...

i see you plan to review a book. our website is now live for reviews!

Minx said...

My Dear Kitty,

I must confess to a certain ignorance with respect to the meaning behind the lyrics of 'Turning Japanese', though I will confess that, when it came out in the 80's, it didnt particularly appeal to me musically. I shall go and investigate, and will doubtless find the meaning troubling, judging by Maid's comment.

For me Japanese Art and Culture is appealing in its clean lines, elegance, and apparent simplicity.
Having said this, whats NOT to love about ' Hello Kitty'???

Anonymous said...

For those who think there's a hidden meaning - there's not. It's a love song about a guy who had lost his girlfriend, and is slowly going crazy. From The Vapors themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHb1IFPtlWs

So now you can feel better about liking the song. :)