Thursday 27 August 2009

The 'Write' Stuff

For most of the morning, I have been distracted with thoughts (and searches for) of employment and in particular, that of writing as a career (or at least a supplementary one). Anyone who knows me in the flesh has probably had the extreme pleasure of hearing me harp on and on about wanting to 'write things' and getting really excited about it. After my final (one hopes) exam on the 8th of September, I will be taking the employment search to the enthusiastic stage, whereby I will be dressing in my semi-best and knocking on doors. I vow to be the most enthusiastic temporary coffee and tea maker, envelope stuffer and photocopier there is...

In addition to the above, I am going to seriously consider freelance writing, if only to find out if I really am cut out for it. Ever.

Onto the books...

CBC

p.s. As much as I think babies and children are sweet in appearance, watching Supernanny and Nanny 911 chill me to the bone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear CBC

have you seen this? Could be interesting

http://w4mp.org/html/personnel/jobs/disp_job.asp?ref=21414

ginge.

Minx said...

My Dear Kitty,

Have you ever considered approaching Alex Aldridge, who is an associate editor Legal Village, with regard to trotting out a piece for him? Its not paid work, but its useful experience, and represents a start.
Well worth a try, I think, particularly since typical pieces range from 900 t0 1,300 words -honestly, after EVERYTHING we've been through writing for Academia, how HARD is such a word limit to atttain?

Here's a contact Addy ( freely available on the Legal Week/ Legal Village Website)

alex.aldridge@incisivemedia.com

The Curious Black Cat said...

Ginge! That is an excellent link and site. Thank you very much for giving it to me...I'm deffo going to give it a go.

Minx, that's such a good idea! I've had a look at the site and will contact the ed about doing a piece indeedy.

Thank you both! I feel so much more motivated...