Wednesday 6 May 2009

Love, Actually...

So after having a cosy evening (alone) watching 'Love Actually' for the first time (sensing audible gasps here. Yes, it's the first time) on ITV2, I haven't been able to go to sleep so here I am bloggity blogging. I did cry a little at the end; I'm getting less embarrassed at this now!

There is a story in the media which has captured my interest over the past few days and I meant to blog about it yesterday but hey, no time like the present.

Pregnant Briton Samantha Orobator faces death penalty in Laos http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6220226.ece

There are just so many 'annoying' (for lack of a better, less explicit word) issues I can see arising from this case:


  • The refusal of legal representation
  • The fact that she is reported to be five months pregnant BUT has been in prison for eight months
  • The severity of her proposed punishment; death
  • The question as to the 'fairness' of the impending trial
  • Her 'treatment' in prison
I suppose the main overriding issue here is that of human rights. I'm not sure whether it matters at this stage if she in fact was guilty of the offence she's been charged with. I think now it's gone beyond that. With Trisha Goddard in the background this morning, it got me thinking. Why is lie detection software not used in court? Or just generally...as normal as brushing one's teeth.

HER: "Does my bum look big in this darling?"

HIM: "No love. You look beautiful and I love you just the way you are."

HER: Well, let's just hook you up to the lie detector first dear..."

[BEEEEEEEEEEP]

Because it doesn't matter if the person on trial is actually guilty or not; it's their right to represent themselves in a positive light? Human Rights? It's all very mind- boggling to me.

Though, please don't misinterpret what I'm saying www. I am all for human rights and think that Orobator's reported treatment is disgusting to say the least. But I often cant help but think that things might be so much easier if criminals were just 'hooked up' to lie detectors.

"Did you steal that money?"
"Did you murder Mrs Bloggs?" (unfortunate name in the context)

Yes? No? Problem solved. NEXT!

However, it's the fact that the law isn't this black and white that gets me all...hot under the collar (!)

Till next time,

CBC

xx

(I realise of course that the suggestion to use lie detectors in law is just plain crazy but...actually no buts...it IS crazy so apologies!)

No comments: